- 1,200 daily online grocery orders possible using state-of-the-art technology inside the Scarborough West Walmart Supercentre
- More than 70% of downtown Toronto customers could benefit from improvements to their online grocery experience through delivery from this store
- Enhanced technology and processes enable faster pick speeds, freshness promise and on-time delivery
Mississauga, ON /CNW/ - State-of-the-art technology inside a Walmart store in Scarborough is creating more availability, better selection and expanded delivery options for downtown Toronto's online grocery customers.
The repurposed space inside the Scarborough West store integrates state-of-the art technology, helping associates to pick online grocery orders six times faster than on a regular sales floor. This is the latest example of how Walmart is unlocking its stores to reach more customers than ever with better service. More than 70% of downtown Toronto customers could have their online grocery delivery fulfilled through this store.
Using automated technology alongside proprietary Walmart systems, this reimagined space helps Walmart provide more choice, convenience, speed and quality to customers when they shop online for groceries.
- Customers benefit from tighter inventory control, resulting in fewer substitutions, and automated processes that enable the overall picking process to be 80% faster
- The technology leverages data to systemically manage freshness in stored items, supporting Walmart's commitment to delivering the freshest product.
- New delivery-led solution and processes enable faster loading, supporting on-time delivery.
- As many as 1,200 customer orders per day can be fulfilled out of this store – much higher than average.
- Reach new customers in underserved areas – giving more access to products and Walmart's everyday low prices.
- Nearly 200 associates will support online grocery picking and fulfilment from this store
"We're transforming our business for our customers, every day. By leveraging our stores, including modernizing our Scarborough West store with innovative new technology, we're helping more customers access our everyday low prices through online grocery delivery," said Horacio Barbeito, President and CEO, Walmart Canada. "With investments in technology and infrastructure, our associates have more modern tools to serve our customers. Together we're finding innovative ways to make our existing footprint work harder for customers as we make shopping online with Walmart faster, easier and more convenient."
"Repurposing our space in Scarborough allows us to lean in to online grocery delivery for our downtown Toronto customers in ways we have never done before. We've embraced technology to help us increase capacity for orders, providing our customers with more available timeslots and expanded access to delivery," said Laurent Duray, Chief E-commerce Officer, Walmart Canada. "Our associates and our stores are the key to the journey we're on to keep making the online shopping experience better and faster for our customers."
"Thank you for your commitment to our community and the contributions you continue to make here in Scarborough Centre. The repurposed space inside your Scarborough store will not only help Walmart to meet its customer-driven demand, it will also create jobs in our community and enhance Scarborough Centre's rich and diverse cultural mix. I welcome your new project to Scarborough Centre and wish you continued success in your business activities in our community." - City of Toronto Deputy Mayor Michael Thompson, Scarborough Centre
As part of its $3.5 billion investment in infrastructure and customer experience, Walmart is using its existing footprint and unlocking stores' capabilities to serve customers more expansively, focusing on speed, accuracy and service. Space in stores across the country has been reimagined to better serve customers through online grocery pickup and delivery, like in Vaughan where the store's back room picking space helps to reduce salesfloor congestion and increase pickup and delivery timeslot availability for customers.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by more than 1.5 million customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2021 and was also named one of Canada's most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada has made a commitment to regeneration – focusing on equitable opportunity, sustainability, community, ethics and integrity. Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised over $500 million to support communities across Canada. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada's social media pages – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.